Lots of modifications required to get this engine sorted. Here we are fitting fuel line, the electric fuel pump and twin throttle linkage.
April 2009: To the left the fuel tank was emptied and removed for the car. As you can see a small water leak exists somewhere and is starting to take its toll on the bodywork. After a good sanding down the rusty areas were given two coats of POR15. A small hole was also drilled in the lower section so if any water was to get under the fuel tank it would drain away. The last thing was to give the seams a good coating of seam sealer - see above picture.
April 2009: The Red Top Facet Fuel pump has been installed on the inner rear arch. The pump is on rubber mountings to prevent vibration. The 8mm ID fuel lines have also been fitted and connected up to the pump and fuel tank. The 14g red cable was connected to the power lead and run down the inside of the car to the front fuse panel.
April 2009: The next stage was to install the twin throttle cables. Here you can see the removed throttle pedal ready for modification.
April 2009: This is the top part of the throttle pedal which shows you the original nipple which will have to be cut off to accept the new aluminium adapter.
April 2009: A bit of filing had to be carried out to make sure the Sytec adapter fitted. The adapter was pushed all the way until the top of the pedal was showing and then the grub screw was tighten.
April 2009: A small piece of card was cut and used as a template to transfer the spacing of the adapter to the bulkhead of the Escort. I used a bradawl to mark the card.
April 2009: Here I marked it with red marker pen so it could easily be seen and state which part of the card was the Top.
April 2009: A few measurements were made inside and transferred to the engine bay bulkhead where I taped the card up with masking tape. I also placed masking tape on the bulkhead before drilling commenced.
April 2009: The holes were drilled and the cables pushed into the holes ensuring I put a dab of silicon grease around the hole first for some added protection.
April 2009: Here we have the throttle pedal installed back into the pedal box inside the car.
April 2009: The other end of the cables were then fitted to the throttle linkage assemble installed earlier on to the Dellorto carbs.